Rose has had croup (a virus which makes the airways swell) 3 times in the past few months. When she is sick, trying to keep her calm and help alleviate her congestion (especially at night when it tends to be worse in a reclined position) is my main priority. From my own personal experience and from the TON of reading I’ve done now on “baby congestion” I feel like I’m a bit of a pro so I thought I’d share my insights. baby congestion
5 Tips for Baby Congestion (helps with older kids as well)
- Cool Air Humidifier: I now just keep it going in Rose’s room whenever she is sleeping. In the middle of the night when she is really congested I sit her upright next to it so that she can breath it in directly. I find the moisture helps almost immediately. When the humidifier doesn’t help turning the bathroom into a steam room usually does. I run very hot water and sit with Rose OUTSIDE the shower until the room fills with steam. Then we sit in the steam for 15 minutes. baby congestion
- Snot Sucker: Grossest/best thing ever. Forget the bulb syringe, it doesn’t work. In conjunction with a nasal spray like HydraSense, the snot sucker works even better. I have this one and this one.
- Upright love pats: I hold Rose upright against my chest (the position alone tends to help with congestion) I lightly pat (percussion) her on the back with my hand cupped.
- Nasal massage: I gently massage pressure points on the side of her nose. Surprisingly she doesn’t seem to mind it. I do the same with Morris who gets blocked tear ducts whenever he has a cold. See technique here.
- Pushing fluids: Rose typically doesn’t have milk at night anymore, but when she is congested I offer fluids whenever she is awake, congested and/or fussy, day or night.
I’d love to hear anything else that you find works- leave me a message in the comments!